On the Eve of Marijuana Legalization, the Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction (CCSA), has by request of young people published a Guide on facts to Cannabis.
Please see the following link;
Talking Pot with Youth: A Cannabis Communication Guide for Youth Allies.
Here are some key takeaways:
· Acknowledge your biases and set them aside.
· Be supportive, respectful and honest (key values to supportive communication).
· Know what you are trying to achieve from the conversation.
· Be present, listen and ask open-ended questions.
· Know your facts – youth want to hear both sides of the story in an unbiased way.
· Understand that youth are curious about cannabis and use it for a variety of reasons.
· Know that the health effects and harms of cannabis use impact youth differently than adults.
· Do your own research and know where to access resources for when the conversation gets challenging.
· Keep the conversation going.